Saturday 24 January 2015

My Fancy Tiger Crafts Sailor Top!


Whilst planning my Sureau (something i'm not rushing), I decided that I needed to quench my sewing thirst with a quick project. I chose to make the Fancy Tiger Crafts Sailor Top. I have seen it being made quite a lot on the blogs that I read and thought it would be nice addition to my wardrobe. Because my prize haul of fabric has been staring at me, I opted to use one of them. I decided to use the paint printed viscose I bought from The Village Haberdashery. Not only has this fabric got nice drape, it's opaque. This makes it great for a spring top (no layering required!). 


The pattern is only made up of 5 pieces as the front and back pieces are exactly the same. There is a front and back yoke as well as  the sleeve and sleeve facing. I hadn't used a sleeve facing before, but the finish looks nice and it allows the sleeve to sit really flat. There is a deep hem also, which provides weight to the whole top. My only issue with the making process was the lack of notches - this caused a problem when gathering the front, back and sleeves to attach to the yokes. I stuck with it and ended up with even gathers. 


I had one issue with my completed top, the front yoke was gaping. After fiddling with it whilst wearing it, I decided to make a small fold at the centre front. I used two buttons to secure the fold and add a little bit of a styling detail. I'm really pleased with the finished product. The buttons are really cute and totally solve the gaping. 



2 comments:

  1. Awesome top Sophie. I love the little modification-now-design-feature!
    I have just booked us tickets for the V&A Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty exhibition on Sat 4th July at 2.30pm. That should get our creative juices flowing for some supersonic sewing action!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! Love a bit of McQueen! I'm very excited for my visit. This is certainly a wearable top, I'd recommend it for sure. However, you do need quite a bit of fabric.

    ReplyDelete