Monday 10 November 2014

A second Lilou dress...


After saying I was taking a break from Tilly and the Buttons makes, I was at a loose end, so I decided to create a second Lilou! The first one turned out ok, however I did need to take it in at the back, so I chose to make a few alterations to the pattern this time. I took 2.5cm off the centre back seam and also took 1cm off the front waist dart to improve the overall shape and fit. I also decided to move the straps over 1cm towards the centre back as it was not sitting perfectly flat. 

Once I had made the changes to the pattern, the cutting and sewing process was quite quick and I managed to finish it in about 4 hours. The fully lined bodice is a delight to do now that I have experience. I chose a white cotton lining as I figured that a self lining might show through. 

Overall, I am really pleased with the final garment. The fit is loads better than Lilou number 1 and the navy and white gingham fabric matches my capsule wardrobe colours! My only issue is that the checks don't match up precisely at the back zip. However, this is just a small detail that can be solved by wearing a cardigan. To be honest I don't think the general public would notice at all, it's just me being picky!

I have several work's in progress now, so i had better pick up the pace with my making and stop getting distracted by quick and simple projects! With Christmas garments and gifts to make, it's going to be a busy few weeks!

4 comments:

  1. Really like the navy and white gingham and the alterations you have made certainly have improved the fit of the bodice. Nice job there Sophie ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really nice fit! I want to draft a sleeve to fit so that it's a good pattern for winter too. Currently making a Megan to see if I like the shape. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect! I'm currently working on the megan dress--def making this next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Hilde, i've just finished a Megan dress in a bit of an interesting print. I'll be blogging about it soon. What fabric are you using?

    ReplyDelete