Saturday 1 November 2014

Chevron patterned Coco!


So I said in my previous post that I purchased some chevron patterned cotton jersey from Spotlight in Singapore. This is the make I used it for! After the success of my first Coco, I knew that I wanted to make more garments from this wardrobe building pattern. 

Chevron patterned fabric is something I have coveted for a while and have yet to find any for clothing in Hong Kong. I had considered purchasing some Riley Blake chevron fabric from modes4u.com, but it was quite pricey so I decided to wait. I'm very glad because I totally love this red, fine stripe version. It's a challenge to look at, especially with the funnel neck and cuffs! However I do enjoy the pattern it creates at the joining point. It is certainly a statement piece! 

The manufacture went smoothly and substituting a sewn neckline with the funnel neck made it even easier to sew than my first Coco (see here). I used the hemming tape that I also bought from Spotlight to help with the finishing of the hem. This made the process extremely easy and i'm sure that a novice with knitted fabric would find this very straightforward.

I'm now almost looking forward to the weather getting cooler here in Hong Kong so that I can wear all my lovely new wintery clothes! I'm off to Beijing on a course on Wednesday, so this little number might make it into my suitcase. 

Has anyone else made a statement Coco? 

2 comments:

  1. Loving the Bridget Riley Op Art effect on the neck funnel and cuffs. Totally cool little top Sophie. I have cut out and started construction on my shirt dress and will probably blog about it in the coming week as I will be sewing the next section on Tuesday. The fabric I chose to use is rather bulkier than the fabric other people are using so it has given me the opportunity for a contrast inner collar and internal button placket (?) facing. I'm hoping it turns out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now questioning the funnel neck! Argh! I wore this for the first time last week on my flight to Beijing and it really annoyed me. I might have to take it off and just sew a normal hem around the neckline. It looks nice, I just can't get used to the feel of it! Sooooo picky of me!

    ReplyDelete